How Is Property Divided In A Contested Divorce?

Just as each couple is different, each divorce is different. As a solo practitioner, I deal with each individual case based on your unique needs. So, when your divorce leads to a disagreement about property division, I will make sure that I take action that works for you.

Put My Experience On Your Side

If you and your spouse have been unable to reach an agreement on one or more issues like child custody or property division, you may need to move forward with a contested divorce. The advice of an experienced lawyer can protect your rights.

Board Certified Family Law Attorney

I am attorney Bruce C. Zivley. I have been practicing family law for 30 years, and I am board certified in family law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. I use my knowledge and experience to help you get the results you need.

What You Should Know About Texas Property Division

Texas is a community property state. This means that all debts and property acquired during a marriage are presumed to belong equally to both spouses. You may be able to fight this presumption as it applies to a particular piece of property or a particular debt. For example, you may be able to prove that an item was your separate property when acquired and that you never commingled it with the community property. Property you obtained before the marriage and things given as gifts specifically to you usually count as separate property — which is not divided in a divorce.

The determination of whether certain property is community or separate property (or debt) can be critical in divorces involving business assets, real estate investments and other complex property division issues.

When you are facing property division issues in a contested divorce, it helps to have a strong and experienced lawyer on your side. People often do best when they are represented by someone with in-depth knowledge of the law and who can make strong arguments on the facts, property valuation, the Texas Family Code and legal precedent.

Complex Property Division Attorney Serving Houston And The Surrounding Areas

Leaving a marriage should not mean you have to give up everything you worked for. Turn to Bruce C. Zivley, Attorney at Law, for representation you can trust. To schedule a free initial consultation, call 281-506-0047 or toll free at 888-837-2157, or contact my office online.

Contact Us

"Bruce handled my divorce. He was efficient and effective, always responsive and accessible. He provided great advice and kept the discussion fact-based and objective when I was occasionally tempted to focus on emotional aspects of the situation.*"

Holly B.


Houston Office

2 Greenway Plaza
Ste 600
Houston, TX 77046

Open Today 9:00am - 5:00pm


Contact Us